Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sally & Romeo

So I went back to work this weekend (which probably wasn't the best idea cause I don't think I was quite ready yet...), anywho, we had these lovely patients this weekend who were straight up confused, disoriented, you name it. Well one of my co-workers got the idea to make them some dolls out of towels to give them something to do...so I grabbed some towels and rubber bands and went to work...and then we started adding onto them and well this is the result:


I think we did pretty well considering that we basically only had office supplies to make these!

Well after we made them I held them up to show our little friends and one of them got so excited! She was absolutely precious! I seriously felt like Santa Claus and I was giving Ralphie the Red Ryder BB gun that he so desperately wanted (catch that movie reference??). I WISH that I could have videoed her getting those dolls!!! (If it wasn't like against the law, then I might have called her family and asked for permission) She was SO stinkin' cute!!!! She would have won America's Funniest Home Videos, like no competition.

Well we had to keep a close eye on our little friends, so they were chillin' with me at the nurses' station while I charted and this little lady started talking about her children and how she "left them in bed." I asked her what her children's names were (to see if she was remembering her actual family or making up something) and she said "Oh I named our boy Romeo, after my husband." ....wrong. So I kinda expected her "daughter's" name to be Juliet, so I asked and she said "oh no, her name is Sally, after me" ....wrong again. I have absolutely no idea where that name came from, but the look she gave me when she said that just about made me pee my pants with laughter. Now, I don't want you to think that I was laughing AT my patient, cause I wouldn't do that. She was TRYING to make me laugh. She even told her family members that she was a comedian (which was even funnier). So I went and got her "babies" out of her room and brought them to her cause she was "so worried about them" and when I gave them to her she threw them on the table next to her. I told her "now are you taking good care of them?" and reached towards them, then she grabbed my hands and said "oh don't touch them, they're behaving!" Then I smiled and winked at her (which is something that I've only recently learned how to do...sad I know) and she thought that was hilarious (cause I kind of have to over-exaggerate my facial expression to make it turn out as an actual wink...so it actually does look rather comical), so for the rest of the weekend I'd wink at her from across the nurses' station or as I was walking by and she'd just get to laughing...it was so cute! Not gonna lie, this little lady made my weekend bearable. My jaw hurts. like seriously. but I was still able to smile! Thanks to "Sally & Romeo's" mother. If I ever get Dementia or lose my mind in any fashion then I hope to be as sweet and funny as this little lady is....patients like her are why I love being a nurse!!

No comments:

Post a Comment