Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 55: Poop

I don't know why, but I love this driveway.

I watched a man die today. I watched the monitor as the blood pressure dropped. I watched as his breathing stopped. I watched as a family slowly realized that their loved one was gone. I watched a family grieve. I watched a wife kiss her husband for the last time. I watched… and waited...and I felt completely helpless. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so restless in my life. It’s hard to just watch as someone dies. It’s even harder to watch if their family is there watching with you.

But the hospital is always busy and there’s always about a billion other things going on so it’s easy to not focus on the hard moments. It’s easy to find the humor in a situation and laugh. Luckily the patient in the next room was a bit of a character and his antics helped everyone laugh a little…especially when he pooped on the floor. I probably wouldn’t have laughed if I had to clean it up, but it was Bethany’s patient, so I thought it was hilarious.

Quote of the Day: "Go get your zip lock bag and some rags" ~Sheryl
"It's leaking... this makes me feel awkward..."

No comments:

Post a Comment