Friday, April 16, 2010

Day 106: Reflicted

First of all this was my LAST day to EVER have to wear my white uniform! I will no longer be forced to look like a cross between an astronaut and the abominable snowman.

Goodbye pleats!


Since it was my last day and the only day that all 4 of the day shift student nurses were going to be working we all rode together and brought breakfast for the staff. It was pretty tasty!! Overall today was a great day, but I am pretty sure that I hit an all time low when the girls made fun of my southern vernacular. I am fully aware that my southern drawl is a dead give away that I grew up in Georgia. But today I realized that some of the words in my vocabulary put an even stricter confine on the geographic origin of my younger years.
I've always known that people from "up north" think that words like "y'all" (in my opinion the apostrophe is optional, in the south we usually just leave it out, but whenever they added it in the dictionary they put in that apostrophe...I guess it makes them feel like it's a real contraction or something...) and yonder (by the way this is a real word. It's been used since at least the 1500s, "But soft! What light through yonder window breaks?" ~Romeo in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet) are for ignorant rednecks, but today the girls made fun of one of my "Effingham words". But I KNOW that I am not the only person to use this word! It's on Urban Dictionary (which probably doesn't help my case any, but whatever). According to urbandictionary.com:

Reflicted~ 1. a mix between being retarded and conflicted. Generally stupid or goofy acting. 2. afflicted with retardation
synonyms: stupid, lame, idiotic, ridiculous

So when I called myself reflicted, it was a valid choice of words. ...but that statement probably doesn't help my case either...

Quote of the Day:
"There was only one muffin left. I should have just taken it, I'm not applying here"~ Bethany

"that's probably another one of the words that they only say in Effingham...."

No comments:

Post a Comment