Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 119: Code Blue

I drove to Macon today to visit my sister and I noticed that my car was acting a little funny so I was going to pull into a gas station to check it out. Well as I get in the turning lane on Riverside Drive (5 lane road) my car dies....and I'm on a hill...in the middle of afternoon traffic...on a road that people are known to get into crazy wrecks. So, I called Jeremy, and he told me to get out of the car (which took a while cause of traffic) and as I run across the road these 2 guys pull over and offer to push my car into the gas station (thank God!). But as they start pushing it my steering wheel locks up and the red light turns green and cars start driving straight at us and now those poor guys are having to push my car uphill to get it out of the way because we missed the turn that would've taken us downhill.... They finally got my car in the gas station parking lot and I insisted that they go because Jeremy was on his way.
After a throughout assessment, I decided that my car was overheated and started gathering supplies to put water in it (I basically have an advanced auto parts supply store in my trunk). Jeremy pulled in and Ren got there soon after him. The next thing I know a mechanic pulls over to help out, and he agreed with me that it was overheated. So we wait for it to cool down some more (I'd already gotten the radiator cap off) and we tried to crank it so we could put the water in (you can't put water into a hot engine without it cranked or you'll blow the head gasket) and she still wouldn't start (yes I said she, my car is a girl because she is moody and likes attention). So we pushed it down the hill some to get it out of the way and decided to come back later to give it time to cool off before we tried again.
Jeremy and I were discussing the possible options for my car if it didn't start again and I decided that if we couldn't get it to crank then I was changing it to a code IV and calling up the mechanic to come take it (the mechanic that stopped offered to buy my car...). I got to thinking about it and that little car has over 200,000 miles on it and 2 years ago a mechanic told me that it wasn't going to last another week...and so I've been praying for the last 2 years that my car would last until I finished school (I would literally lay hands on my car and pray before I would drive any long distances), and well I am basically finished with school...so God answered my prayers but now I'm wishing that I would've asked for it to last until I could afford a new one, I guess I should be more specific...
Jeremy had to go to band practice so it was left to me and Rennata to push my car back up the hill so that if it did crank I could just slip it into first and drive out of the gas station (the transaxle tends to rub/grind whenever I'm stopped and try to throw it into 1st too fast). We didn't get it too far and apparently we looked like we were having trouble because a few guys came over to help out (another mechanic, my lucky day). Turns out we didn't really need help cause I got it to start and we were able to put water in it and get it to Ren's house!!! Yay! (I think God is gonna let it last at least a little longer)
but I guess that if I can't find a job as a nurse or if this whole nursing thing just doesn't work out then I could always be a mechanic...

Sad part about today, in the midst of fiddling with my engine I somehow got oil on my shirt...and I really liked this shirt


it was kind of a stressful day, but when I got to Ren's I was greeted by Sam


he always makes me smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment